Maps and Georesources
Discover mapping software, online maps and map resources, or find in-person maps in the UNR Libraries.
NEVADA MAP RESOURCES
- The Ansari Map Library Collection contains over 200,000 maps including topographic and earth science themes, for Nevada, Great Basin Region, United States and the world.
- Nevada and the Great Basin Maps Collections via UNR Online Digital Collections
- NBMG Interactive Maps A variety of maps including Hazards, Geology and Mapping, Geothermal, Minerals and Energy, and more!
- Nevada Historical Society, Reno The Nevada Historical Society, Reno has a collection of images, maps and posters.
- NDOT Maps Numerous maps of Nevada including the Nevada State Highway Map, Nevada Map Atlas, area maps and a four part historical trail map series. These maps as well as other NDOT map products are downloadable for no charge or for purchase at the Nevada DOT headquarters.
- Southern Nevada and Las Vegas Maps The Digital Map Collection: Nevada, Las Vegas, and the Southwest. The maps selected for this digital project document the cartographic history and context of this region, telescoping in scale from the Western Hemisphere to the streets of Las Vegas. Maps were selected to highlight the collection, both in terms of individually important maps and in the breadth and variety of the collection.
ONLINE MAP RESOURCES
USGS Map resources
- USGS National Geologic Map Database This resource includes a Map Catalog, Stratigraphy, MapView, TopoView and Mapping in Process.
- USGS Map Locator Topographic Maps available for download.
- USGS National Map Several mapping products including small-scale datasets, US Topos, Historical Map Collection, and the National Map Viewer.
- U.S. Congressional Serial Set Map Provides access to the more than 50,000 maps published within the U.S. Congressional Serial Set, 1817-1980. The maps illuminate a wide variety of topics in U.S. and World history.
Geological Society of America
- GSA Digital Maps Open access digital maps published by the Geological Society of America under the Digital Maps and Charts series. They are listed in chronological order.
- GSA Publications - Data Repository The GSA Data Repository was established in 1974. It is an open file in which authors of articles in GSA journals can place information that supplements and expands on their article.
Other Map Sites
- David Rumsey Map Collection Digital repository for the David Rumsey Map Collection. The physical map collection is housed in the David Rumsey Map Center at the Stanford University Library.
- Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection Digital repository for the Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, from the University of Texas at Austin Library.
- Maps of the World Online collection of maps and resources for maps, geography, education, and travel.
- World Digital Library - Maps The World Digital Library (WDL) is a project of the U.S. Library of Congress, carried out with the support of the United Nations Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization (UNESCO), and in cooperation with libraries, archives, museums, educational institutions, and international organizations from around the world.
- TRANweb - Northwestern Library Transportation Library Containing over 500,000 items, the Transportation library's scope encompasses all transportation modalities, including air, rail, highway, pipeline, water, urban transport and logistics.
- ReliefWeb - Map ReliefWeb is the leading humanitarian information source on global crises and disasters. It is a specialized digital service of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
Geocoding is the process of transforming a description of a location such as a pair of coordinates, an address, or a name of a place to a location on the earth's surface. Follow the links below for geocoding resources, or for more information please visit ArcGIS Pro What is geocoding?
- ESRI Training is free and fee based an online catalog of tutorials provided by ESRI, manufacturers of ArcGIS. There are tutorials for nearly every tool in ArcGIS and range from 1 - 4 hours each.
- Lynda.com the most popular computer-skill educational site online, offering ten of thousands of straightforward, comprehensive instructional videos. From professional software tools including Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, Logic, Illustrator and Office, to consumer-friendly education about digital photography, Web design, digital video, and many others. Members have access to over 53,000 movies in the training library.
- Contact the Earth Sciences, GIS, & Maps Librarian for more information on tutorials and training sessions.
Campus GIS Resources
Campus Computer Labs
Check out computer labs around campus to find the GIS and mapping software you need.
ESRI - ArcGIS Desktop
ESRI Student Licenses - With our campus site license, we can grant one, 1-year student licenses to current students. Contact the Earth Sciences, GIS, & Maps Librarian for more information.
Faculty and Staff must request ESRI - ArcGIS software through UNR Campus IT.
Open Source GIS Resources
Open Sources and Free GIS Resources
QGIS (MAC friendly)
- StoryMapJS - Maps that tell stories
- TimelineJS - Easy-to-make, beautiful timelines
- SoundciteJS - Seamless inline audio
- JuxtaposeJS - Easy-to-Make frame comparisons