Study Carrel Policies
Study Carrel Policy
Admission to the Faculty/Graduate Study Area is controlled by a key card. Wolfcards for faculty and graduate students will be programmed to allow access to the Study Area. Visit the Knowledge Center Administrative Office, Room 513, during regular business hours to activate your Wolfcard.
A $10.00 deposit will be charged for the individual study or locker key. If the key is not returned to the Knowledge Center Administrative Office at the end of the designated assignment period, the deposit will be forfeited. Knowledge Center staff will not open a study for any person other than the one to whom the key was originally issued.
Carrel Assignment Priorities
Private studies, located in Room 421 on the fourth floor of the Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center, are reserved for use by faculty, graduate students, emeritus faculty, and visiting scholars on a priority needs basis. Up to 16 studies will be reserved for current faculty. Assignments will be made according to the following priorities:
- Untenured professors, on the tenure-track, requiring extensive use of library print collections
- Tenured faculty on sabbatical engaged in research requiring extensive use of library print collections
- Ph.D. candidates, currently enrolled at UNR, writing dissertations requiring extensive use of library print collections
- Tenured faculty working on book projects that require sustained library use
- Emeritus faculty and visiting scholars whose work requires sustained use of library materials
Studies are assigned for one year, ending May 31, with an opportunity for a one-year renewal. However, use statistics will be evaluated at the end of each semester. The assignment may be revoked for insufficient use.
- Renewal may be denied if candidates on the waitlist have higher priority.
- Leeway for renewal for a third year may be possible as demand allows.
- Waitlist candidates are re-prioritized each year.
- Study occupants who will be away from Reno for a semester in the midst of a research project (research fellowship, teaching abroad, etc.) must surrender the study for the semester.
- Study occupants will receive an e-mail notification in early May announcing assignment expirations and renewal process.
- Power and wireless are available in each study for use of a laptop.
- Read the rules for the use of private studies and lockers, below.
- All library materials in the studies must be properly checked out at the Library Services or other appropriate service desk. Knowledge Center staff will inspect the studies and lockers periodically, and any uncharged or non-circulating materials will be removed and returned to the book stacks. The inhabitant will receive a notice that uncharged material was found in the study. Subsequent violations will result in loss of privileges.
- Drink and food may be consumed in the study but must be discarded when leaving. Do not store food in studies or lockers. Do not leave food waste in trash cans. A refrigerator and microwave are available next door in Room 422.
- Smoking and tobacco products are strictly prohibited. Violations will result in the loss of the study assignment.
- The studies are not cleaned on a regular basis, but custodial staff empty trash cans periodically.
- Electrical items, such as coffee pots, hot plates, and space heaters, are prohibited. If such items are found, they will be removed by Knowledge Center staff and the study assignment will be revoked.
- No Knowledge Center furniture or equipment should be moved from or to a study.
- Do not leave valuables in studies or lockers. The Knowledge Center is not responsible for personal property left in the studies.
- Report damage to the furniture, repairs, replacements of light bulbs, or other problems to Knowledge Center Administration. 682-5684 or email@example.com.
- Studies are not sound proof. Please be considerate of others. Set cell phones to vibrate and limit conversations.
- Do not cover study windows. Windows will be treated with a translucent film covering. Please do not tape additional paper to the doors.
- Items left in a study that is not renewed will be removed, stored, and discarded if not picked up after a reasonable period of time.
- Room 421 is a Quiet Zone. Group study is not allowed in this area.