About the project
Many people know James Edward Church as the namesake of the Church Fine Arts building. However, his influence extends beyond campus, up into the Sierra, and to the world. Dr. Church was integral to the development of modern snow science through his development of the Mt. Rose snow sampler. At the University Libraries we hold Dr. Church’s papers, including the records he generated during his groundbreaking snow studies. Up until now, these materials have been available for viewing onsite. This project expands the reach of his work, exposes the longitudinal data sources held in the archives, and presents his records and journals for renewed study and worldwide access.
The ongoing project to digitize materials from the collection grew out of a partnership with the Church family and involved a team drawn from departments throughout the Libraries. We are so grateful to Dr. Russell Church and the entire Church family's commitment to help make this important collection available online.
- Kim Anderson, Director of Special Collections and University Archives
- Robin E Monteith, Advancement Officer
- Emily Boss, Head of Metadata and Cataloging
- Nathan Gerth, Head of Digital Services
- Katherine Dirk, Digital Production Manager
- Elspeth Olson, Project Archivist
- Laura Rocke, Digital Access Archivist
- Chris Jones, Research Assistant