Open access journals: an overview
Open Access differs from traditional publishing models by embracing a financial and operational model that facilitates free, unrestricted access to research findings. Open Access journals are able to eliminate online subscription costs by front-loading costs through article processing fees to authors, and support through sponsorship, advertising, and volunteerism.
Getting started with Open Access
Tips on identifying and avoiding predatory publishers
- Potential predatory and legitimate biomedical journals: can you tell the difference? A cross-sectional comparison
The UNR Med Open Access Publishing Fund exists to help defray the cost of article processing fees for authors publishing in open access journals.
Goals of this program are to facilitate publication by students and early-career investigators and broaden the impact of research generated by the UNR Med community. Published articles subsidized by this program are highlighted below:
- Jacobs NN, Esquierdo-Leal J, Smith GS, Piasecki M, Houmanfar RA. Diversifying academic medicine: One search committee at a time. Front Public Health. 2022 Aug 19;10:854450. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2022.854450. PMID: 36062088; PMCID: PMC9437329.
- Grainger N, Shonnard CC, Quiggle SK, Fox EB, Presley H, Daugherty R, Shonnard MC, Drumm BT, Sanders KM. Propagation of Pacemaker Activity and Peristaltic Contractions in the Mouse Renal Pelvis Rely on Ca2+-activated Cl- Channels and T-Type Ca2+ Channels. Function (Oxf). 2022 Aug 24;3(6):zqac041. doi: 10.1093/function/zqac041. PMID: 36325511; PMCID: PMC9614935.
- Adler AV, Nadone HR, Dafinone ME, Facemyer KC. Social justice in medical education: a student-led approach to addressing COVID-19 vaccine equity in the Hispanic/Latinx community. Med Educ Online. 2023 Dec;28(1):2241169. doi: 10.1080/10872981.2023.2241169. PMID: 37499134; PMCID: PMC10375929.
- Cay P, Singer CA, Ba MA. Gene network analysis for identification of microRNA biomarkers for asthma. Respir Res. 2022 Dec 26;23(1):378. doi: 10.1186/s12931-022-02304-2. PMID: 36572876; PMCID: PMC9793650.
- Firzli TR, Miah FZ, Horton C, Akhtar H, Riddle M, Siddiqui F. Influence of time from admission to norepinephrine administration and volume of fluids received on outcomes of patients meeting sepsis-3 criteria: a retrospective study using the MIMIC-IV database. Trauma Surgery Acute Care Open. 2023 Apr 13;8(1):e001024. doi: 10.1136/tsaco-2022-001024. PMID: 37073334; PMCID: PMC10106031.
- Li I, Fong R, Hagen M, Tabaac B. Medical student attitudes and perceptions of psychedelic-assisted therapies. Front Psychiatry. 2023 Jun 27;14:1190507. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2023.1190507. PMID: 37441143; PMCID: PMC10335742.
Are you receiving unsolicited emails inviting you to submit manuscripts to questionable journals? Looking for open access journals that will be a good fit for your manuscript? If you have questions about evaluating the reputation of a journal or publisher, contact: Terry Henner, firstname.lastname@example.org.