Several print and online reference tools exist to assist researchers in locat-ing materials in the University Archives. Discovery tools range from general collection descriptions in the University’s online catalog to detailed inventories, databases, indexes, and other specialized descriptive material. Special Collections and University Archives staff are always available to assist researchers.
The majority of university records in the Archives are arranged by the creating department in individual records or collections. Record collections have an assigned AC (Archives Collection) or other call numbers for identification and retrieval. Each collection guide (sometimes referred to as a "finding aid") includes an administrative history of the department or organization or a biographical history for faculty papers. Search any term, and then limit to "collection" as a starting point.
The library catalog of the University of Nevada, Reno Libraries can be searched for both published material and the archival holdings of the University Archives. Records exist for most processed collections in the archives and include a general description of contents, span dates, size, and a brief description of the creator or creating office of the records. Example of a catalog record. Some catalog records will also link to a more detailed description of the contents of the collection, called a collection guide, if one is available. For more search options, try an Advanced Search of the Library catalog. To limit results to the Archives, select University of Nevada, Reno Special Collections, and Archives in the location dropdown box.
Good Background Sources
Here are several histories on the University:
- An Illustrated History of the University of Nevada by Doten, Samuel B.
- Call Number: LD 3763 .D6
- Publication Date: 1924
- Nevada State University Tri-Decennial Celebration, May 28 to June 2 1904 by J.E. Church
- Call Number: LD 3767.7 1904
- Publication Date: 1904
- The University of Nevada a Centennial History by James W. Hulse
- Call Number: LD 3749 N3 H8
- ISBN: 0874170400
- Publication Date: 1974
- Business for Nevada: The College of Business Administration by Robert C. Weems
- Call Number: LD 3769.5 .B8 W44 2001
- ISBN: 1891033204
- Publication Date: 2001
- Education for Nevada: 117 Years of Teacher Education at the College of Education by Holly Walton-Buchanan and Gary Peltier
- Call Number: LB 2193 .N327 W35 2004
- ISBN: 1891033255
- Publication Date: 2004
- The History of Home Economics in Nevada by Marilyn J. Horn
- Call Number: TX 24 .N3 H67 1991
- Publication Date: 1991
- Legacy: 100 Years of Athletics at the University of Nevada by John Trent
- Call Number: GV 691 .N3 T74 1998
- PublicationDate: 1998