As the Director of Distinctive Collections I administer the Distinctive Collections units. I am responsible for leading the activities of the Special Collections and University Archives (SCUA) Department and providing administrative support for the Jon Bilbao Basque Library (Basque). I direct our activities to ensure that the unique library and archival collections stewarded by the University are positioned to support discovery, cultural heritage, scholarship, and teaching by and for the campus community and the public at large in a professional, responsible, anticipatory, and ethical manner. My research focuses on critical archival practice, its historical development in North America, and the means by which it is learned and adopted. I investigate this through the intersections of archival appraisal and value judgments, personal and community identities, and the social aspects of the ways in which archivists learn, adopt, and develop reflective and critical practices.
Ph.D., Information Studies (Archival Studies emphasis, cognate in Social Studies of Science and Technology), University of California, Los Angeles
M.L.I.S., Library and Information Science (Archival Studies emphasis), University of California, Los Angeles
B.A., Humanities, Northern Arizona University
- Anderson, K. (2022). Land Acknowledgments at Land-Grant Libraries and Archives: A Systematic Review. Journal of Western Archives, 13(1).
- Anderson, K., & Maddox, J. (2021). Surveying as Unsettlement: The Protocols Alignment Survey at the University of Nevada, Reno. The American Archivist, 84(1), 34 - 61.
- Additional publications available at Google Scholar and ORCID
- Anderson, K. (Co-Principal), Boss, E. (Co-Principal). "Media for the Masses: Opening the Reno Gazette Journal Photograph Collection", Sponsored by Nevada State Library, Archives and Public Records, State, $86,551.00, 2021 - 2022.
- Anderson, K. (Principal). "Environmental Collection Processing Extension", sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities, $35,532, 2020.
- Anderson, K. (Principal, July 2017 –August 2018), H. Seo (Co-Principal, September 2018 –July 2019), and E. Anderson (Co-Principal, September 2018–July 2019). “Avian Archives of Iowa Online (avIAn) (Digitizing Hidden Special Collections and Archives Program)," Sponsored by Council on Library and Information Resources, $188,825.00, 2017 - 2019.